the Best Biome
Two prairie biologists make the ever-growing argument for why grasslands are the world’s best biome.
Content Warning: talk of blood. The last of our “spooky”-themed episodes, let’s talk about ticks! How do they feed, what kind of diseases do they carry, and how best to prevent getting sick from them. Did you know there are over 900 species of ticks and they live quite literally everywhere? Well, now you do. Be safe out there.
Thanks for listening to our exploration of why grasslands are the best biome. We’ll see you in two weeks!
Primary Sources: Be sure to check out photos and more at our site!
- Find the Best Repellant for You. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Scallan, M. 2015. How do ticks… tick? Smithsonian Institution. Interview.
- Centers for Disease Control. 2019. Tickborne Diseases of the United States.
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Tick factsheets.
- Simo, L., Kazimirova, M., et al. 2017. The Essential Role of Tick Salivary Glands and Saliva in Tick Feeding and Pathogen Transmission. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology. 7:281.
Dive deeper into the topics featured on our episodes.